Hythe Town - Home / League

Final Score: Sittingbourne 0 - Hythe Town 2

Played 09th April 2016

Sittingbourne’s record against top six teams has been disappointing this season, with just one point picked up from a plucky away draw at Dorking Wanderers.

And they didn’t break that sequence against Kent rivals Hythe Town, who were desperate for the points in a bid to keep their place in the end-of-season promotion play-offs.

It was the second time this season that Hythe have beaten them 2-0, and they had this game sewn up by half-time when they’d already established their two-goal advantage.

Sittingbourne made two changes from the team that drew at Chipstead the previous Saturday, George Crimmen and Tom Carlse returning to the starting line-up at the expense of the unavailable Adam Allen and Scott Whibley – missing out for the first time since he broke into the team.

Hythe dominated the first half with the ever-threatening Alfie May breaking in from the left after 10 minutes but his shot from a narrow angle was pushed wide by Sittingbourne keeper Adam Molloy.

Hythe broke the deadlock on 21 minutes as a Jack Mahoney corner found its way to Dave Cook who deftly back heeled the ball into the net from close range.

Hythe continued to have all the chances and Frankie Sawyer was next to have an attempt but his snap shot went wide.

May was in action again five minutes before the break as he got a toe to the ball from close range but his effort was deflected over the bar.

But he increased Hythe’s lead on 41 minutes as a Sawyer cross was flicked on by Dave Botterill who found May at the far post to head home.

As the second half progressed Sittingbourne began to create some chances as Steven Ita had a free-kick from the edge of the area which went straight into Joe Mant’s arms in the Hythe goal.

However Hythe continued to have the best chances as Sawyer fed the ball to Connor Hood who sent his shot wide.

Mant had to be at his best to tip the ball over the bar on 66 minutes as Sittingbourne captain Tom Brunt hit a dipping free-kick from 25 yards.

Hythe had to be on their guard as Brickies sub Hicham Akhazzan hit a curling shot just wide of the target.

A couple of Hythe chances followed as both Jon Pilbeam and Sawyer shot straight at Molloy.

Sittingbourne were denied twice at the end to narrow the deficit, as first Carlse lobbed the ball straight into Joe Mant’s arms and then top scorer Ita broke free from defender Craig Cloke but his attempt was hooked wide.

Hythe held hold on to their two-goal lead to reinforce their place in the play-off positions. It was their fourth win in a row and their eighth away win on the spin.

Sittingbourne have a swift chance to make amends with another Kent team chasing a place in the play-offs, Faversham Town, the visitors for a rearranged match on Tuesday evening.

Thanks to Hythe Town for match report details.

 Back to Match Reports

Score Summary


Cook 21 mins

Match Officials

Mr James Simpson

Mr Nicholas Brown
Mr Luke Donaldson


Sittingbourne FC

Hythe Town

Recent Matches