Three Bridges - Home / Ryman League

Final Score: Sittingbourne 4 Three Bridges 4

Played 16th August 2016

Astonishing that Sittingbourne lost a two-goal lead to late goals for the second time in four days.
It’s been quite a start to the season and enthusiastic and determined Sittingbourne deserve more than just the two points they’ve got to show from 3-3 and 4-4 draws.
Praise them for playing with such pace and energy that their seven goals so far makes them the highest scorers in Ryman League South so far this season.
But, of course, it’s a worry that they’ve also leaked seven goals and haven’t been able to hold on to two-goal leads twice in succession.
Sittingbourne went into the match with the same team (and substitutes) who played so well at Cray Wanderers on Saturday, up against a Three Bridges side who did the double over them last season.
And it was the Sussex side, who looked a decent team throughout, who took an early lead when Garrod volleyed home from the edge of the area after being gifted the ball by Sittingbourne.
But the home side levelled two minutes later in their first attack of the game. Remell Davies, who had a sparkling first half, did brilliantly to get into space to cross to the far post where Miles Cornwell headed the ball back past the keeper inside the far post.
Both sides attacked well for the rest of an end-to-end half with Sittingbourne keeper Simon Overland, on his home debut, making three good saves.
And Sittingbourne took the lead at the end of the half when Overland kicked long, and the speedy Davies cleverly read an attempted back pass and lifted it over the advancing keeper.
That lead didn’t last long as Three Bridges equalised early in the second half when wide player Fender found space deep in the area to meet a long cross from the left and score at the second attempt after his first effort rebounded back off the bar.
Excitingly, Sittingbourne hit back with Steven Ita a constant threat to the Three Bridges defence and they regained the lead on the hour. Ita played the ball back to Conrad Lee and his first-time cross to the far post was bundled over the line by Dan Tanner, another player making his home debut, from all of a yard.
Sittingbourne continued to look dangerous whenever they went forward at speed and made it 4-2 on 70 minutes when Davies again took on the defence and forced the ball into space for Cornwell to calmly score his fourth goal in two games.
Surely, Sittingbourne could hold onto the lead but they were twice caught out by shots from outside the area and had to settle for another draw.
The first one was a soft goal, on 86 minutes, a free-kick played square for Sargent who drove a low shot home from 25 yards.
The equaliser was from another free-kick – it looked a harsh decision, this one – sub Godfrey connecting beautifully to hit it over the wall and into the top far corner.
So another anti-climax with lots of good things again coming from a Sittingbourne performance only to end up in disappointment and frustration.

Tony Rickson

Ken Medwyn's photographs are here CLICK HERE

Matchday Programme


 Back to Match Reports

Score Summary

Cornwell 8 & 70 mins, Davis 44 mins, Tanner 59 mins

Garrod 5 mins, Fender 48 mins, Srageant 86 mins, Godfrey 89 mins

Att: 91

Match Officials

Referee: Mr I Searle
Assistants: Mr J Stokes, Mr D Doyle


Sittingbourne FC

Simon Overland
Conrad Lee
Tom Carlse (Brunt 64 mins)
Dan Tanner
Jono Richardson( C)
Jack Steventon
Hicham Akhazzan
Stefan Wright
Remell Davis
Miles Cornwell (Fuller 87 mins)
Steven Ita  

Tom Brunt
Danny Rumbol
Jake Embery
Connor Wilkins
Joe Fuller

Three Bridges

Kieron Thorp
Steve Sargeant
Daniel Mobsby (Casselman 68 mins)
Tom Howard-Bold
Drew Cooney (Pulling 82 mins)
Jamie Crellin (C)
Devon Fender
Callum Donaghey
Alan Tait
Tony Garrod
John Lansdale Godfrey 76 mins) 

Ben Godfrey
Anthony Oleka
Mark Pulling
Mitchell Casselman

Recent Matches